The Golden Glove award is awarded to the best goalkeeper at each World Cup. The goalkeeper is perhaps not the first player you think of when you think of winning teams but usually, great teams have a good goalkeeper steering the ship.
You can bet on the winner of the Golden Glove award at the 2018 World Cup at many of the sports betting sites. This is a similar bet in nature to the Golden Ball winner bet or Golden Boot winner bet. You might have an idea of who will win it based on the performances of players over the past few months but ultimately, anything can happen in a World Cup tournament!
In this article we will look at previous winners of the award, highlight the current options and odds being offered and give our prediction for who will win the award. At the moment, it seems that Sky Bet are the only outlet offering the winner of the Golden Glove as a possible bet. We presume that other sports betting sites will follow suit, but this remains to be seen.
Previous World Cup Golden Glove Winners
Before we get into the details for this year’s candidates, let’s have a look at who has won this award in the past. Many legendary goalkeepers have won the award and here is the full list of the winners:
- 1930: Enrique Ballestrero, Uruguay
- 1934: Ricardo Zamora, Spain
- 1938: Frantisek Planicka, Czechoslovakia
- 1950: Roque Maspoli, Uruguay
- 1954: Gyula Grosics, Hungary
- 1958: Harry Greg, Northern Ireland
- 1962: Villiam Schrojf, Czechoslovakia
- 1966: Gordon Banks, England
- 1970: Ladislao Mazurkiewicz, Uruguay
- 1974: Sepp Maier, West Germany
- 1978: Ubaldo Fillol, Argentina
- 1982: Dino Zoff, Italy
- 1986: Jean-Marie Pfaff, Belgium
- 1990: Luis Gabello Conejo, Costa Rica and Sergio Goycochea, Argentina
- 1994: Michel Preud’homme, Belgium
- 1998: Fabien Barthez, France
- 2002: Oliver Khan, Germany
- 2006: Gianluigi Buffon, Italy
- 2010: Iker Casillas, Spain
- 2014: Manuel Neuer, Germany
Golden Glove World Cup 2018 Odds
Here are the current odds being offered at Sky Bet for the Golden Glove winner:
- Manuel Neuer, Germany 7/2
- David de Gea, Spain 4/1
- Alisson Becker, Brazil 9/2
- Hugo Lloris, France 5/1
- Thibaut Courtois, Belgium 7/1
- Willy Caballero, Argentina 11/1
- Jordan Pickford, England 16/1
- Rui Patricio, Portugal 25/1
Golden Glove World Cup 2018, The Likely Winners
As we can see, Neuer is favourite to win the award, as he did in 2014. However, here at Fable Casino we don’t think Neuer will win the award this time round. His lack lack of match time this season for Bayern Munich is likely to result in some rustiness.
Alisson Becker will be between the sticks for a fantastic side, but Brazil are known to concede goals. Lloris is a fantastic goalkeeper and the odds of 5/1 make this a tempting option.
However, our favourite to win the award is David de Gea. The Manchester United goalkeeper has been outstanding for the past few seasons and we believe he will carry this form into the World Cup. He has a strong defence in front of him which is bound to help him keep clean sheets. At odds of 4/1, this is a great bet to make.