You've got to give credit to NetEnt — they sure know how to take what is arguably an idea that has been done to death and make it feel fresh. Finn and the Swirly Spin is a perfect example of this.
The ‘unoriginal' part is quite obvious: the whole “Luck ‘o the Irish” theme featuring a leprechaun as a mascot has been done a lot. On the surface, therefore, this video slot might put some people off. But the best part comes from playing the actual game and that very thing is hidden in the game's title. That's right… it's the swirly spin function!
While the “swirly spin” aspect of the game (where the slot symbols appear on a huge stone spiral) is very much a cluster pays function. The reel, as is to be expected by now, is 5×5 and allows players dynamic combinations of winning symbols to align. From as little as 10p players can engage with Finn and the Swirly Spin and, because the Irish theme is a bit tired, it does feel fresh.
The second the game opens you can see that NetEnt have done a wonderful job conceiving of the game's fun factor. There are strands of Gonzo's Quest and Aloha!'s DNA factored in here but they combine to create a totally unique experience — one that we're certain players will get back to quite quickly. All the symbols of the game appear on the loading screen and each have their own function.
In conclusion on gameplay, Finn and the Swirly Spin delivers. Not only is it fun and engaging but unique and bizarre in a way only NetEnt can pull off. With an RTP of 96.61%, you'll find the slot to be of medium to high variance. So some gameplay is required but is nevertheless satisfying.
Finn and the Swirly Spin has some pretty cool features. The first is its base game which makes use of four other random features that enhance the initial gameplay. Let's take a look at them:
- Starfall Wilds Random: This feature adds 2 to 5 wilds on the reel
- Dragon Destroy Random: In this feature, a random number of symbols get destroyed and allows you another avalanche
- Irish Luck Random: Horizontal/vertical line of one kind of symbol gets added for a guaranteed win
- Magic Transform Random: This transforms all space/heart symbols into a higher-paying symbols
If a Free Spins Key scatter symbol materialises in the centre of your reel once all wins and avalanches take place, you'll be rewarded the extra spins feature. There are four of these to choose from and each match to one of the random features. Collect keys for access to them all:
- Star Bar Free Spins (1 key) – you will be awarded seven Star Bar extra spins with 2 to 5 wilds added for every free spin.
- Lava Lair Free Spins (4 keys) – you get three Lava Lair fee spins with random symbols destroyed on each extra spin so you a win and another avalanche. Sticky wilds appear instead of key symbol.
- Lucky Mug Free Spins (9 keys) – you will receive four Lucky Mug free spins with a horizontal/vertical line of one symbol to ensure guaranteed wins.
- Golden Pot Free Spins (16 keys) – you get two Golden Pot free spins with space/heart symbols transforming into a higher value symbols.
So as you can see, there are plenty of features to go alongside the main gameplay of Finn and the Swirly Spin. Or, technically, they're four main features with four sub-features. But we'll count them as eight here. It makes the game much more innovative and interesting, that's for sure.
Probably one of the best examples of NetEnt's graphic and sound design, Finn and the Swirly Spin is beautiful to behold. The detail alone is enough to make the game feel new and fresh. Add with all the gameplay and features, however, and the slot quickly becomes something quite special. Visually engaging as well as fun, that's what we think makes a game worth playing.
Finn and the Swirly Spin may loose favour upon first impressions but this doesn't concern us as we believe NetEnt's reputation precedes any negative press. The slot is a blast to play, uniquely different and bizarre in a charming sort of way. The temptation to try it out at least once is a very strong pull and player will find themselves enthralled by the game's mechanics.
You can play Finn and the Swirly Spin right now at Fable Casino!